Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Height: 3,082 m.s.n.m.
- Location: Facing the Huayna Picchu and left of the Traditional Inca Trail.
- Access: From the Complex of Machu Picchu, climb to the viewpoint (House of the guardian) continue until the diversion is indicated with a signboard.
- Entrance tickets: Ticket Machu Picchu + Mountain.
- Hours: 07:00 hrs. – 11:00 hrs.
- Number of visitors: 800 spaces per day. Check availability Machu Picchu Mountain.
- Walking time: 3 hours and a half (round trip).
- Degree of difficulty: Moderate.
- What to bring?: Shoes anti-slip, sunscreen, insect repellent, head protection, rain gear (depending on season).
- Archaeological attractions: None.
- Flora and fauna: Because of the weather and the landscape you will find variety of butterfly orchids and birds.
- Weather: The weather is hot and humid during the day and cool at night. Dry season: May to October / Rainy season: November to March.
- Advantages: Mountain Machu Picchu higher than the Huayna Picchu, less steep path, panoramic view of the City Inca and Huayna Picchu.
- Disadvantages: No archaeological remains.
Machu Picchu Mountains
- Height:2,693 m.s.n.m.
- Location: North of the Machu Picchu Mountain.
- Access: From the Inca city of Machu Picchu, by the Sector of huayranas (Sacred Rock). Income by the Control House.
- Entrance tickets: Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu.
- Hours: First group: 07:00 hrs. 08:00 hrs. – Second group: 10:00 hrs. – 11:00 hrs.
- Number of visitors: Number of visitors: 400 per day, divided into two groups of 200. Check the availability Huayna Picchu.
- Walking time: 1 hour 30 minute climb and the same descent.
- Degree of difficulty: Medium. Steep mountain, cliffs, many steps (not recommended for those suffering vertigo).
- What to bring?: Slip shoes, sunscreen, insect repellent, rain gear (depending on season)..
- Archaeological attractions: Andenerias, the Moon Temple in a cave with niches samples, lintels and fine stonework.
- Flora and fauna: Landscape of the jungle, surrounded by lush vegetation, an important habitat for birds, butterflies, insects, all from a tropical landscape.
- Weather: Warm and humid during the day, cool at night. Dry season: May to October / Rainy season: November to March.
- Advantages: Panoramic view across the City Inca, roads, streets, squares and precincts.
- Disadvantages: Cliffs covered with vegetation, steep climb, narrow path.
Machu Picchu Mountain Tickets
The cost to add on Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain is US$ 75 per person. Effectively the cost of the permit incudes entrance to Machupicchu + Huanapicchu. Unfortunately at this moment the INC does not have a separate Huayna Picchu permit to combine with the Inca trail permit which already includes the Machu Picchu entrance. We have asked the INC to consider providing the opportunity for Inca trail trekkers to only pay for the separate Huayna Picchu permit which is $20 but they have not yet provided for this, so for the moment we have no choice but to price this permit as above.