How much doest it cost to Hike the Inca Trail?
For many, going to Machu Picchu is a once in a lifetime type of trip. If doing the 4-Day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu and visiting Peru is an adventure you have always wanted to take but you wonder how much does it cost to hike the Inca trail. This trip is within reach and can be customized based on how you prefer to travel! Find out how you can plan your trip based on my one week costs for the 4-day Inca Trail trek and Peru.
The conversion rate at this time was approximately 3.35 soles to $1.00 USD
- If you go to Peru in the off-season you will get much cheaper airfare. This was based on traveling the last weekend of March 2014 through the first week of April from SFO to CUZ. During my flight search, it seemed that most fares in April were similar and then increasing significantly in May. Just note that this will be half your expense for the entire trip.
- *This is based on double occupancy. You can significantly reduce this expense based on your preference of accommodation. We stayed in a private room with a bathroom for 1 night at Pariwana Hostel Cusco. The hostel was nice and centrally located to the local markets and the main plaza. The evening we arrived they were hosting a free BBQ for guests. Then we stayed 3.5 nights at Casa Andina Classic – Cusco San Blas. Why the extra .5 night? I was exhausted and feeling ill on our last day, so we rented a hotel room for half the day. Both places also provided free buffet breakfast, which I highly suggest as it will also save you money.
- No matter how much I tried to negotiate the cab fare, we still were over charged. It was 20 soles one-way to the hotel/airport, 8 soles to Saksaywaman and another 5 soles to/from our hotel.
$153 Food & Dining
- We ate out at some nicer restaurants during our stay in Cusco, like: Pachapapa & Marcelo Batata. Food is certainly affordable here and there are smaller restaurants you can try out to reduce your costs.
- This was the fee to visit two museums and one church. Our Inca trail friends gave us the remainder of their Cusco Tourist Pass which got us free entry into Sacsayhuaman
Inca Trail Costs
$610 4-Day Inca Trail
- Find out all the inclusions on the Best Andes Travel website – the only thing I thought would be included is being picked up from our hotels but instead there was a meeting point. Not sure if you can handle 4 days or are you limited on time? They also offer 2-day Inca Trail tours.
$15 Inca Trail Snacks/Drinks
$25 Tip – Inca Trail Guide
$45 Tips – Inca Trail Porters & Chef
$69 Travel Insurance
- Our Inca Trail tour company required us to purchase travel insurance. I purchased a two week plan for two people from World Nomads.
Total Cost: $2,552
With only 500 people allowed to hike on the Inca Trail each day and 2,500 to enter Machu Picchu per day, it is important to plan far in advance. If you are flexible with your travel dates, it can also help you secure your trip. Originally I wanted to go to Peru at the end of April, but the dates I wanted were booked. The tour company replied with their only available dates, so I was flexible and changed it to end of March – early April. Remember to book with a licensed Inca Trail tour company.
Other ways to save:
- Purchase a pass for $43 (130 soles) to see a majority of the Sacred Valley sites and museums in Cusco
- Choose cheaper accommodation and restaurants depending on your preference